WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessible Infographics Colors?

for

Date: Feb 8, 2015 2:17PM

Understanding SC 1.4.3 provides some good advice on the topic:
http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/visual-audio-contrast-contrast.html

Basically, even though SC 1.4.3 does not require sufficient contrast in this situation it is advised to provide good contrast. This can be met a number of ways and using lines/halos etcetera is one method. As others have pointed out SC 1.4.1 Use of Color does apply to labels, line, patters, etc. would be needed to make the information visually accessible to people with color perception challenges. Once again there are many ways to meet each success criteria and some methods are better than others.

If the infographics contain a lot of text there could be a strong case for SC 1.4.5 Images of Text. I have seen some good examples of info graphics done up as text using CSS and images -- so in some situations the technology does allow for this.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>

703-637-8957 (o)
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of david kaplan
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2015 2:42 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessible Infographics Colors?

Hi All,

I some questions about infographics (pie charts, bar charts, etc) and color accessibility. Are there any guidelines or articles that you know of on how to make the colors in these cases accessible?

What are the specific instances when the colors need to be accessible in a chart? For example, in a pie chart, do the colors need to be accessible against each other so that each slice's color contrasts properly against the color of the neighboring slice? Or would it be sufficient to just have a white (or other contrasting color) border between each slice?

Textures and patterns are certainly an option. But, for now, I'm more concerned about colors and contrast.

TIA!

David K