WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Button button, who's got the button

for

Date: Mar 23, 2015 5:05PM

Hi Jeff,

You could use an image button whose alt attribute contains the value you want screenreaders to announce. Renditions of the site in other languages would need this value to change to reflect the chosen language.

More info at:
http://webaim.org/techniques/alttext/#buttons

Best, Lynn

> On 23 Mar 2015, at 22:16, Bishop, Jeff - (jeffbis) < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
>
>
> We have a site here at the University that uses buttons similar to the following:
>
>
>
> <button name="help">?</button>
>
>
>
> You probably are seeing where this is going already. They want to keep the visual aspect of the question marks in play for the site's buttons but we are hoping we can get a consistent screen reader experience with IE, Firefox (with JAWS/Window-Eyes/NVDA) and Safari (VoiceOver).
>
>
>
> So far my testing shows that aria-label will work with JAWS 16 (the screen used by 95 percent of students on campus) inside of Firefox.
>
>
>
> It only works if you tab to the button in IE with JAWS 16. If you move to the item using the virtual cursor then it only shows the question mark.
>
>
>
> So, before I continue testing I was wondering what people have found best to accommodate all users in this instance?
>
>
>
> I know the simple answer is to change the text inside of the button tag <smile>.
>
>
>
> Any hints are hugely appreciated.
>
>
>
> Jeff
>
>
>
> > >