WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Focus on adding/removing items

for

Date: Mar 25, 2015 2:22PM

Rob, by approaching it from the standpoint of performance objectives—a concept mentioned in Section 508, by the way—you could attack that usability issue head-on.

In other words, the standard becomes "accessible to and usable by" people with disabilities.

"It's unusable to everyone else, too," isn't safe harbor, especially for an educational institution. What matters is to make the interface usable for people with disabilities.

If they want to leave it unusable for everyone else, I guess that option is available. But it must be usable by people with disabilities, regardless of how many checkpoints it passes.

I've probably said all that before. If you absolutely must point to a failed SC, I would choose SC 2.4.3, Focus Order, which finishes with, "focusable components receive focus in an order that preserves meaning and operability." (Level A)

I would argue that when the focus is lost you also lose operability. They agree that this is a usability problem, so surely they must recognize that operability has been disrupted. For it to pass 2.4.3, that can't happen.

Cliff Tyllick

Sent from my iPhone
Although its spellcheck often saves me, all goofs in sent messages are its fault.

On Mar 25, 2015, at 9:06 AM, Robert Fentress < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

>>