WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Do fonts have to be embedded in a WCAG 2.0conformingPDFdocument?

for

Date: Apr 15, 2015 3:06PM

Andrew,

On 15 Apr 2015, at 22:48, Andrew Kirkpatrick < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> Would you say that a PDF that is all in French, uses adobe's internal font (which is not available externally - adobe clean), and does all of the things that are needed to expose accessible information except doesn't embed the font is going to cause issues for any users? If so, what?

last time I checked France was still in the Western world - I was already stating that users are less likely to encounter problems looking at a PDF without fonts embedded if all the text is e.g. French.

Just to make that side clear: visual presentation is a very relevant option also from an accessibility point of view - most users with disabilities have a disability that is not sight related.

So what is it I am missing in your question?

Olaf

PS: As an aside, I would prefer to not have this discussion tied to a specific viewer implementation (be that Adobe's implementation or FoxIt's or Apple's or Nitro's or someone else's - all of which do support rendering of "Latin 1" text even if fonts are not embedded; strictly speaking, only Helvetica/Times/Courier/Symbol/ZapfDingbats are required to be present to the viewer application; this does imply that at least formally the same does not apply to all the other fonts once could use for Latin 1; it's for a reason that font embedding is considered best practice regardless where/in which industry you are. As a logical consequence using Adobe applications for example it has become next to impossible for the average user to create PDFs where fonts are not embedded). Also, I do not see how a PDF can use a font that is not available externally?