WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Organizational Charts

for

Date: May 6, 2015 1:43PM

The problem that I have with that approach is that it hides the list structure behind an image, unless I am missing something. So if I need to manipulate the text to make it more readable I don't have an option.

Mike Moore
Accessibility Coordinator,
Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
(512) 424-4159 (Office)
(512) 574-0091 (Cell)

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 2:27 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Organizational Charts

Wouldn't it be feasible to tag a graphically presented org chart as a nested list structure?

Olaf

On 6 May 2015, at 20:36, "Moore,Michael (DARS)" < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> I recently recommended using either a nested list structure or a combination of properly nested headings and lists as an accessible alternative to an org chart. A search for "accessible org charts" on the web revealed that this is the standard approach and given that properly nested headings and list provide a very good method for conveying organizational structure I do not see another method that would provide an overview of the structure and relationships within.
>
> Would use of lists and/or headings and lists still be considered a best practice for conveying the content of an org chart or is there something using more dynamic methods that would provide benefits that I am not considering.
>
> Mike Moore
> Accessibility Coordinator,
> Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
> (512) 424-4159 (Office)
> (512) 574-0091 (Cell)
>
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>