WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Is a button that does not support space bar activation a violation of WCAG?

for

Date: May 6, 2015 7:22PM

> I was asking if it was an absolute requirement of WCAG that all buttons be coded so that either enter or spacebar activates them. My guess from where this discussion has gone is no.

It depends who you talk too -- so -- at this point there is no consensus that I am aware of on this being a requirement. I'd assume we all agree it's at least advisory though. There are many other techniques that fall into this category and over time techniques may move from not having consensus into having consensus. For example, do banner and footer content have to be marked as such as with HTML5 or ARIA -- do groups of links have to be within a nav or use navigation role, etc. My thoughts are my own and I'm not speaking for any working groups.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>

703-637-8957 (o)
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 9:14 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Is a button that does not support space bar activation a violation of WCAG?

Guys.
I was not asking whether it was hard or easy (I have a single JavaScript function of 5 lines that adds the appropriate keyboard interaction to all links turned buttons).
I was asking if it was an absolute requirement of WCAG that all buttons be coded so that either enter or spacebar activates them.
My guess from where this discussion has gone is no.
Thanks