WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessible Modal

for

Date: May 19, 2015 6:15AM

> So is applying `aria-hidden="true"` to all the non-modal elements a good thing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It is, but unfortunately you have to apply it to many of the other page elements. For example, say you want to insert the modal dialog inline within the page and have aria-hidden true on the dialog but have the aria-hidden false on the body of another ancestor element within the page. Currently this would not work -- that is nesting an aria-hidden false within an aria-hidden true does not expose the content within the aria-hidden false with current screen readers and browsers. In correctly placed or updated aria-hidden attributes can be very problematic to detect without user testing.

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Avila 
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Phone 703.637.8957  
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Chris Pearce
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:26 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessible Modal

Hi,

I've used this implementation:
http://accessibility.oit.ncsu.edu/training/aria/modal-window/version-3/ for implementing an accessible modal in the past and has worked well (tested in VoiceOver, NVDA, and JAWS).

I was advised by a colleague that it isn't necessary to apply `aria-hidden="true"` to the `div` element that contains all the non-modal elements, which in the example would be the 'mainPage' div. The reason for this is because if focus is trapped within the modal you can't access anything outside of it. I was also advised by someone else that you should have it as you can access headings outside of the modal via shortcut keys and possibly other things so applying `aria-hidden="true"` to all the non-modal elements just makes it pretty bullet-proof. My take is that it seems to work really well so why change it?

So is applying `aria-hidden="true"` to all the non-modal elements a good thing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris