WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Truncated links and titles

for

Date: Jun 25, 2015 1:40PM

Also, unless things have changed significantly Dragon needs both a title and a label to recognize the form field.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Paul Adam
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:20 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Truncated links and titles

That's not correct. VO OS X reads title of links with a default delay after reading the link text or Accessible name. iOS is the same with a very short delay.

If you want to control how a screen reader speaks the link text then modify the accessible name eg aria-label.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 25, 2015, at 10:51 AM, Jonathan C. Cohn < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Remember, that JAWS is not the only screen reader. VoiceOVer on the Macintosh will generally read the title rather than the screen text unless you interact with the element. I believe this will be OK in this situation, though on a specific web site there were onClick spans that VoiceOver would read click here for more inofrmation, and one would not know what you were supposed to find more information about.
>
>
>
>
> Jonathan Cohn
>
>> On Jun 25, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Moore,Michael (HHSC) < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>> The title will not be read for a text link in JAWS by default. It requires the user make changes to their verbosity settings.
>>
>> Mike Moore
>> Accessibility Coordinator
>> Texas Health and Human Services Commission Civil Rights Office
>> (512) 438-3431 (Office)
>> (512) 574-0091 (Cell)
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Steven Garvin
>> Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:15 AM
>> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
>> Subject: [WebAIM] Truncated links and titles
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> I've been doing some research on acceptable uses of title attributes on links but can't seem to find anything on a piece of functionality we're about to implement. We have a list of links, each representing a user-entered data set. The link name is a title field which could be up to 100 characters long. In our application this will, in some instances, be too long to display and so needs to be truncated. The desired functionality is to display the shortened version on the link with the full string inside the title attribute on the link so that it will display as a tooltip. For example:
>>
>>
>>
>> <a href="#" title="This is the full title for the data set">This is the full.</a>
>>
>>
>>
>> My question is then, is this an acceptably accessible solution? My understanding is that JAWS for one will read both the link name and the title, which seems a bit wrong to me. Is the solution to add an Aria-label with the full title?
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>
>>
>> Steven
>>
>>
>>
>>