WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: automated tests of multimedia

for

Date: Jul 29, 2015 7:34AM

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015, Morin, Gary (NIH/OD) [E] wrote:

> Just as so many automated tools might tell us if an image on a website or in a document has an alt-text, I've yet to see such a tool tell us how *good* or meaningful the alt-text is. The same goes here with both captioning and audio-description. Even if the presence of either could be tested for, by an automated tool, how good the quality of the captioning or the audio-description could really only be done manually, by viewing and listening to the video or multimedia. At least, it seems to me.

Oh, absolutely. And the same goes for the labels of controls, actually. One of the automated tests I'm going to have to write myself no matter what is one which has a list of what the control names should be for play, pause, volume, etc. How many times have we looked at players where every control technically has a label, but the label for volume control is "100%" and the label for play/pause is "GFFDSFDFS-id-control"?

> One of the challenges with testing multimedia is that most of it can't
> (couldn't) be reliably tested. Up until recently most players were Flash based. That's changed thanks to HTML5 and I'm betting you'll see multimedia testing soon. ;-)

HTML 5 media players are my happy place. :)

Deborah Kaplan