WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: visited hyperlink text color

for

Date: Aug 12, 2015 8:40AM

Thanks Jared for the information, including the link to the blog.

The question comes up because as state agencies deliver information in email formats (such as newsletters) to the public, they encounter individuals with a wide variety of computer skills and cognitive abilities. Some store information they want to revisit in their emails.

I agree that the underlining of a hyperlink is an important distinguishing feature, and that there are times you cannot always control the color the hyperlink changes to after an action such as a "visit".

With a trend to have a color background in the bottom of an email newsletter and a hyperlink on this "footer", it can make it difficult for some readers to identify the hyperlink once the color has changed. As we look at best practices, I think we should aim for preparing for when the hyperlink color change cannot be controlled, especially if the goal of the communication is to provide information to someone who may need some assistance to find the information.

So, in response to your question "I'm not quite sure why the default color would be relevant to you.
Either you can't control it, in which case there's nothing you can do" what I can do is advise state employees creating email newsletters about the issue of the sometimes uncontrollable visited hyperlink color, so they are aware of this as they make design decisions and I can point them to the information you shared. I appreciate all you shared and welcome other ideas if others have experience with this challenge.

Jennie
JENNIE DELISI  |  ACCESSIBILITY ANALYST
MN.IT SERVICES
651.201.1135 (w)  | <EMAIL REMOVED>

Information Technology for Minnesota Government   |   mn.gov/mnit
Learn: http://mn.gov/mnit/accessibility/