WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: What is a common way of accessing context menu in windowsbased application?

for

Date: Aug 19, 2015 5:03AM

I use both. The AppKey works in most cases and for what I do, I seldom have to use Shift + F10. However, if something like a laptop doesn't have an AppKey, then Shift + F10 is the keyboard command to use.

It is the same type of choice you have for saving files in Office for example: you can use F12 or Alt + F, A for the File/Backstage, Save As dialog. Both get you to the same place. If you want to use the sub-menu under the Save As in Office 2013, then you use the Alt + F, A keyboard command. If you simply want the Save As dialog, you use F12.

As far as I know, both keyboard commands (AppKey and Shift + F10) are "common." It is what you get used to and what is available on your keyboard. If you are doing training , it is good to teach both. If you are writing documentation, I use the AppKey unless it doesn't work for something, then I use Shift + F10 in the instructions.

Cheers, Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Subhash Chhetri
Sent: August 19, 2015 6:41 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] What is a common way of accessing context menu in windows based application?

Hi Accessibility Experts,

What is a common way of accessing context menu in windows operating system? Is it Application key or shift+F10.

This question may sound silly to many of you, but I'm asking this after discovering the fact in some windows based application, only shift+F10 is provided to launch context menu, user is unable to launch the same by pressing application key.

Thanks
Best Regards,
Subhash Chhetri