WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WCAG Extensions

for

Date: Aug 20, 2015 1:26PM

Sent: 20 August 2015 19:19

When you are proposing these one offs to deal with design desires how are you disinfranchising the majority of users who will encounter your pages.

I'm not proposing a one-off to deal with a design desire. I'm suggesting that if we add guidance to WCAG for specific user groups that it should not be done in the form of an optional extension, but that to add such guidance to WCAG 2.1 would not mean that we needed to update the existing guidance from WCAG 2.0.

As someone who works with hundreds of IHE on an annual basis I an very opposed to taking this in further expansion of the Guidelines.

I'm not sure I understand your position. You don't think we should continue to evolve WCAG at all, or you don't think the optional expansions is the right approach?

The long term proposal from WAI is to replace WCAG (and bits of UAAG and ATAG) with a completely new set of guidelines, currently being referred to as WAI 3.0. There is little/no information about what these guidelines might actually look like though.

Léonie.

--

Senior accessibility engineer @PacielloGroup @LeonieWatson