WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Something's amiss with the latest survey

for

Date: Aug 28, 2015 3:02PM

> What the data does explain, however, is that partially sighted screen reader users were not counted in the past year's surveys.

I would certainly agree with this fact. People with low vision may switch between using no magnification with larger text, magnification, and a screen reader within the same session. The needs of users with low vision are often unique and may be different from users who solely rely on a screen reader. Historically people with low vision may have not seen themselves as screen reader users even though they may use text-to-speech but not rely on the full functionality of a screen reader.

In my pointing out that AISquared emailed it users about the survey -- I certainly was not saying anything wrong or improper was done -- it's just a fact of what occurred and is a very reasonable thing for a screen reader vendor to do. Regarding other vendors -- I did not personally get emails from those vendors regarding the survey. Having the most broad sample to get the most accurate data is what we all want.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>

703-637-8957 (o)
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter