WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Datepicker questions - are they useful?

for

Date: Nov 4, 2015 6:27AM

> I'm trying to think of another example where clicking something on a web page would change context

On mobile platforms such as iOS touching a play button on multimedia will often launch a full screen platform level media player that has a done button that will take you back to the page.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of _mallory
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 4:10 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Datepicker questions - are they useful?

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 11:23:16AM -0800, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> ...For example you can view something on a monitor or tablet with ease, but try to do the same on a 2 inch wide iPod screen and it will likely be impossible to interact with.

Hm, a lot of mobiles seem to have their own built-in calendar software and can also run downloaded calendar apps. I wonder if it would make sense for the small devices to, when encountering an input typeĂšte, switch context to whatever built-in calendar they've got? It removes control from web page developers but assuming the builtin calendar can accept meta-data from the site (like that only certain dates should be choosable), we know these calendars are specifically built for the tiny screens, built to work with their built-in AT (mags and readers), and for touch. It could also let users see their own calendar stuff at the same time (the in-built calendar may show an appointment on a date the user may be choosing for a trip).

I'm trying to think of another example where clicking something on a web page would change context, but the only one I can think of is clicking on another file type and the browser or OS knowing whether it should open for example Adobe Reader rather than a PDF in a new tab.

Has there been any discussion in this direction? Especially if it were something a user could set up on their own device (whether to allow a web-page datepicker vs using a built-in one), this could make it mostly a non-issue whether the datepicker works exactly the same cross-device-- it would instead work however the user was used to working anyway.

_mallory