WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Misuse of TabIndex 0

for

Date: Nov 4, 2015 8:47AM

You could fail it for name, role, value because they're using a focusable element that should have a role that indicates keyboard operability but static text is not keyboard operable.

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
www.deque.com

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 8:59 AM, Moore,Michael (Accessibility) (HHSC) < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> I am evaluating a large web based application that uses tabindex="0" to place all of the explanatory text, instructions, FAQ's, questions for groups of radio buttons and checkboxes, etc. into the tab ring.
>
> I am of the opinion that this violates the intent if not the letter of guideline 2.4.3 focus order. "If a Web page can be navigated sequentially and the navigation sequences affect meaning or operation, focusable components receive focus in an order that preserves meaning and operability"
>
> My interpretation is that by placing inactive/static content within the tab ring operability is severely adversely impacted for people who depend upon tab navigation.
>
> Operability is impacted in the following ways:
>
> 1. Additional tab stops make it harder to get to interactive controls like links and form fields. This is particularly onerous for people who use keyboard navigation due to a physical disability that limits dexterity in their hands.
>
> 2. The additional tab stops may create confusion since the user will expect to tab to controls, form fields and links and not static text.
>
> 3. The additional tab stops may create further confusion since some users may assume that since the text is focusable that it will be actionable (This may also violate 4.1.2).
>
> Do you agree or disagree with my interpretation and why? Is there another guideline at level A or AA that may apply here? Note: 2.4.7 Focus Visible is being met.
>
> Mike Moore
> Accessibility Coordinator
> Texas Health and Human Services Commission
> Civil Rights Office
> > > >