WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Does WCAG require that when you click a label itchecks the checkbox or radio button?

for

Date: Nov 20, 2015 10:05AM

Totally agree! WCAG is open to many different interpretations. I've studied it for many years and I'm always reading the definitions at the bottom of the understanding document to try to decipher its meaning!

I think it's WAY better than Section 508 which is not very specific at all and open to vastly more interpretation.

I don't see the Plain Language in WCAG or 508. You do have to be an expert to understand what's really required.

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
www.deque.com

> On Nov 19, 2015, at 1:12 PM, Chagnon | PubCom.com < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Paul Adam wrote:
> "WCAG indeed has many loopholes."
>
> In a way, yes, you're right about that.
> To me, WCAG is one of the most poorly written, organized, and presented set of regulations/standards/guidelines I've ever had to deal with. That's my opinion based on 30+ years of professional editing and publishing of US Federal regulations, legislation, and standards.
>
> To any of us in the professional communications and publishing industries, it's very clear to us that W3C/WAI needs to hire some professional writers and editors to put this information in a better state -- less redundancy, less confusion, clearer language and better understanding.
>
> Part of accessibility is the use of plain language, a movement started decades ago by governments worldwide to make our content more understandable to a diverse population.
>
> As it is now, WCAG is the antithesis of plain language.
>
> No matter how well-intentioned all the creators of WCAG are, when it comes time for accessibility lawsuits and formal complaints, this type of poorly-written gibberish will undermine our cases and only serve to line the pockets of lawyers who could easily argue to dismiss the accessibility case.
>
> This confusion also spawns so much of our email posts on this list.
>
> WAI, please use plain language.
>
> And hire professional writers and editors to overhaul the language and presentation of WCAG -- not necessarily the standards themselves, but their presentation.
>
> --Bevi Chagnon
>
> > > >