WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility Testing Tools that Work on a Screen Reader?

for

Date: Feb 9, 2016 3:23PM

> I'm curious if anyone knows of accessibility testing tools that can be used by someone on a screen reader. I realize that many consider a screen reader

SSB's AMP has an extensive UI for displaying reports and compliance metrics across pages and the UI is accessible with assistive technology including screen readers. Our toolbars are accessible as well -- but as some others have pointed out there are some challenges with testing certain aspects of accessibility in consistent ways without vision. As we employ a significant number of people with disabilities this is an important issue that we are aware of and striving to improve upon for tests that cannot be automated. I'd like to see a set of manual test steps that were screen reader agnostic and provided reliable consistent results. I'd imagine that some tools, favlets, or plug-ins might be needed in such an endeavor.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>

703-637-8957 (o)
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Pyatt
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 11:50 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessibility Testing Tools that Work on a Screen Reader?

Hello:

I'm curious if anyone knows of accessibility testing tools that can be used by someone on a screen reader. I realize that many consider a screen reader itself to be a testing tool, but someone may want access to reports, particularly reports for multiple pages on a site.

Thanks
Elizabeth

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University
<EMAIL REMOVED> , (814) 865-0805 or (814) 865-2030 (Main Office)

210 Rider Building (formerly Rider II)
227 W. Beaver Avenue
State College, PA 16801-4819
http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/psu
http://tlt.psu.edu