WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Is the accessibility of a 3rd party that represent me still my concern?

for

Date: Mar 28, 2016 2:31PM

Hi Geri,

I can see a few potential points of pain for your organization.

Does this application provide access to information or services for which your organization receives federal funding? If so you may potentially be risking a compliant under section 504.

You may be risking a complaint under the ADA in the following two situations.

Does this application provide access to information or services to members of the public and is there an accessible alternative to using this application available from the same place where you link to the external application?

Does this application provide access to information or services to employees and/or potential employees and is there an accessible alternative to using this application that is available from the same places where you link to the external application?

Mike Moore
Accessibility Coordinator
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Civil Rights Office
(512) 438-3431 (Office)

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Druckman,Geri
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 3:21 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Is the accessibility of a 3rd party that represent me still my concern?

Hi all,

Here's a dilema I have, and I seek your advice hoping any of you have had to deal with a similar situation before.
The institution I work for is in negotiations over a contract with a vendor that will supply us with a web based application solution. This will NOT be hosted on our servers in any way, it is 100% on the vendors side, and our clients will receive an email with a link, directing them to the vendors site, where they will need to interact with said application.

At the moment to vendor claims not to be section 508 / WCAG compliant and is seeking an exemption in the contract.

My dilemma is, although we have nothing to do with the development or hosting of said application, we are still sending our clients over to that site to interact with it. Is it still within my institutions responsibility to make sure that this vendor is accessible, or is this all on them?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Geri Druckman

(cross post with wai-ig)
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure. This e-mail message may contain protected health information (PHI); dissemination of PHI should comply with applicable federal and state laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, any further review, disclosure, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or any attachment (or the information contained therein) is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all references to it and its contents from your systems.