WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: cleaning braille files

for

Date: Mar 28, 2016 6:00PM

In traditional publishing, we often do this type of clean up of all Word documents before they are imported into desktop publishing layouts. All that extraneous crapa-hola in Word is just as much a royal pain for us as it is for people using AT.

It is possible to create one macro in Word that performs all of the search and replace strings, one after the other. For more info, check some online resources on how to create Macros in Word. It is a very handy skill to have.

—Bevi Chagnon

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Michael Bullis
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 6:26 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] cleaning braille files

This is an accessibility question but perhaps not quite on point for this list.

From time to time I need to read very lengthy documents in braille on my electronic braille notetaker.

In order to make the process much more enjoyable I clean the file by removing paragraph symbols, end of line feeds, rows of dashes, spaces, slashes or stars.

When finished, I have a file that requires far fewer line advances as I read along and one that uses the full width of the braille display.

My process for cleaning is rather cumbersome, requiring the creation of several search and replace strings that I run manually. I'm wondering if anyone on the list knows of a piece of software that might have been created that does what I'm doing by hand?

Thanks in advance for your continued good works. I'm mostly a lurker but do learn much.

Michael Bullis

Executive Director,

The IMAGE Center of Maryland

300 E. Joppa Road,

Suite 312

Towson MD

Email: <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> > <EMAIL REMOVED>

Office: 443-275-9394

Cell: 443-286-9001