WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: th scope=row

for

Date: Apr 6, 2016 12:08PM

Certainly don't need to discuss the "peskiterrian delights" on my account. At least not in relation to my original question.

Thanks,
Logan.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 2:04 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED> ; WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] th scope=row

Technique H63:
https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H63.html
basically states that scope="row" or scope="col" is required on cells if they are not in the first column/row of a table (see note 1 about simple data tables).
They re also required when header cells span multiple columns/rows, but that is a whole other kettle of peskiterrian delights we should not go into on this thread unless it is relevant.

WCAG Techniques are not normative, but this one fits best with my experience accessibility testing and it seems logical.
If you designate all cels in the second column as row headers, you kind of need to use scope="row" to tell assistive technologies that.
Keep in mind that any cell(s) to the left of the row header cells will not be associated with them, at least a.t. does not communicate that info.

-B

On 4/6/16, Chagnon | PubCom < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> Birkir wrote: "I approach this more based on content than WCAG criteria.
> I ask myself, "do I need to know the value of the leftmost cell in
> this row (or any cell), in order to fully understand the cell I am looking at)?"
>
> Thanks, Birkir. That's one of the best pieces of advice I've seen
> about making accessible tables.
> The WCAG and PDF/UA standards can't provide that type of experiential
> guidance. No standards can.
>
> Envision what people with disabilities will need to know so that they
> can more easily understand the data.
>
> —Bevi Chagnon
>
>
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >

--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
This e-mail originates from the City of Ottawa e-mail system. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than the intended recipient(s) is unauthorized. Thank you.

Le présent courriel a été expédié par le système de courriels de la Ville d'Ottawa. Toute distribution, utilisation ou reproduction du courriel ou des renseignements qui s'y trouvent par une personne autre que son destinataire prévu est interdite. Je vous remercie de votre collaboration.