WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: should you or should you not tell partners about theaccessibility issues on their sites?

for

Date: Apr 13, 2016 1:23PM

I would agree. The business or 'partner' may or may not know much about accessibility. They may know about 'conformance to standards' but not about practical accessibility. As much as I'd want to pounce, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and any experience of my own - I tried accessing captions, I tried to complete your form using Dragon NaturallySpeaking and x, y, or x happened. It helps many see the practical side of it - what it really means for their customers or for end-users - more than just "but the software vendor showed me a VPAT!"

Gary

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 10:38 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] should you or should you not tell partners about the accessibility issues on their sites?

as a user I think it is definitely appropriate to let them know. Many times they may not be aware of accessibility issues unless they are brought to their attention. I regularly contact sites of organizations and companies to let them know about issues that I encounter as a screen reader user. As a consumer if they don't take it seriously and resolve the issue I then take my business elsewhere.
Chuck Krugman, MSW paralegal/consultant
1237 P Street
Fresno ca 93721
559-266-9237

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:21 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] should you or should you not tell partners about the accessibility issues on their sites?

Hi all,

I;d like to float an idea past you all. I was wondering whether I should email any partners whose websites have tons of accessibility red flags to tell them about it and why it's important to fix those issues. While our partners don't represent us, they do mention our company by name when they list and sell our courses on their sites. Frankly, I'd like to make it a requirement that any partner sites need to be at least WCAG 2.0 A complaint. That's not that hard to accomplish by a tech team worth their salt. What do you guys think? Would it be appropriate for us to require or even to suggest this?

Thanks,
Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge, Inc.