WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Troubleshooting hint on tab-panel

for

Date: Apr 19, 2016 3:17PM

It sounds like you are including the additional active elements inside of the container that includes role="tab", which would not be valid. It's difficult to diagnose this sight unseen though.

If you run Visual ARIA on it
http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/visual-aria.htm

Then attempt to tab around and interact with the tab elements using the keyboard, do you see any errors in red?

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
SSB BART Group, Inc.
<EMAIL REMOVED>
415.624.2709 (o)
www.SSBBartGroup.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Moore,Michael (Accessibility) (HHSC)
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:15 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Troubleshooting hint on tab-panel

I am working with an internal development team that is implementing a form that uses tab-panels.

The aria attributes that show and hide each tab appear to be working correctly.

We do seem to have a couple of problems with some of the behavior in JAWS and NVDA in IE11 and in FireFox.

The checkboxes, text fields, and radio buttons are implemented using appropriate html elements. However all of the <input type="text" ...> fields are reported as a "tab" instead of as a text field by the screen readers. The checkboxes, select elements, and radio buttons are reported correctly?

Has anyone seen this before and what should I be looking for in the source code to help them resolve the issue.

Sorry, I cannot provide access to the code at this time.

Mike Moore
Accessibility Coordinator
Texas Health and Human Services Commission Civil Rights Office
(512) 438-3431 (Office)