WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Proper Markup on Web Pages

for

Date: May 12, 2016 10:38AM

Hey Brandon,

Very good point!

In terms of "going after" a software manufacturer, be it an open source or private entity, I wouldn't count on any effective remedy under U.S. law to right this wrong at the present. Software manufacturers have largely been given a "pass" on Web accessibility regulation by the powers that be. I'm planning on making a post to this discussion list in the coming days that underscores the need to make software manufacturers accountable as part of the recently announced Americans with Disability Act (ADA) Title II Supplemental Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (SANPRM), which proposes to regulate the accessibility of Web sites, and possibly Web apps, for U.S. state and local governments. We need to rally support for this issue and make our expert opinions clear to the U.S. Department of Justice as they seek input on how to regulate Web accessibility in this country.

In terms of voluntary support for making development frameworks accessible, there have been a number of efforts. I'll defer to others on this list to speak to those efforts.

More to come later on the recent ADA Title II SANPRM...

Brooks Newton