WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Trouble with a menu in Druple

for

Date: May 13, 2016 4:10PM

Hi, Lisa – my question about Superfish was really meant to be rhetorical – to raise the issue that the word "accessible" is used without clear definition or clarification, as if everyone agrees with what it means – typically, in terms of ScreenReaders and vision loss, assuming no one else with any other impairment or disability needs to be considered.

As a speech recognition user, keyboard navigation doesn't really help – not unless each keystroke or key combination is mapped to an oral command. My point, hopefully ‘of course', is that not everyone who's disabled is blind/sight impaired, and not everyone who uses AT is using vision-related AT.

W/best regards,

Gary

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 5:41 PM
To: Morin, Gary (NIH/OD) [E] < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Cc: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Trouble with a menu in Druple

Hi Gary,
Great questions, thanks. The people I know who have worked on it for their own websites concentrated on screen reader users (I can't tell you which ones they tested as that part I don't know). I can say that I have read that the menus seem to work well with keyboard navigation right out of the box.

I was looking at it about 2 years ago and decided to go with PVII instead:
http://projectseven.com/products/index.htm
No endorsement on either of them, but PVII have been accessibility friendly for years (they were pretty good for limited dexterity, screen readers, no js, keyboard only). Only problem was that PVII doesn't do a module, so Superfish is easier to install because of it....
I would love to know if anyone has tested Superfish with speech recognition software, as that I have not seen anywhere.
Sorry I wasn't clear, I should be more specific-thanks for the reminder!
Cheers
Lisa

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Morin, Gary (NIH/OD) [E] < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >> wrote:
Hi, Lisa - when you say that Superfish is or can be accessible, to who? Persons with dexterity impairments and use speech recognition software? Persons who are blind or sight impaired?

-----Original Message-----
From: L Snider [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >]
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 12:01 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >>
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Trouble with a menu in Druple

Hi Courtney,

Yes, Superfish menus can be made more accessible. It takes a bit of doing, but I know people who have done it (no clue what version of IE they were testing though, not sure how EDGE would work with it).

Cheers

Lisa

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Ritz, Courtney L. (GSFC-7200) < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I found out that the menu they're using in Drupal is actually called
> Superfish. When you have any responsive themes on websites and the
> menu compresses to three bars instead of an actual menu its called a
> hamburger (because it kind of looks like a hamburger)
>
> Can Superfish be made accessible?
>
> Courtney
> >
>