WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessible Datepicker & NVDA Support

for

Date: May 19, 2016 2:33PM

The first example is missing a role for the date picker elements and missing something to indicate a selected state to the screen reader user.

<td id="cell19-dt" class="day selectable curDay focus" data-value="19" aria-label="Thursday, May 19, 2016" tabindex="0">19</td>

Possibly make it a role=button and aria-pressed=true for the selected button. Right now it's speaking as a "group" to VoiceOver OS X which does not indicate it's an actionable control.

Here's an example of an accessible date picker that also works on mobile, https://dequeuniversity.com/library/aria/date-pickers/sf-date-picker

I'm not sure how you could exclude date picker widgets from Accessibility testing. Because in my view it's not equal access if you have to type the date manually MM/DD/YYYY but a mouse user can easily click the date they want and see if that day is a Friday or Sunday without pulling out their own calendar. I would not consider it progressive enhancement, I would consider it a custom HTML widget that can be developed with keyboard and screen reader accessibility. Everything on the web page must be accessible.

I think some screen reader users may avoid date pickers or think they don't have to be accessible because they may have never seen an accessible date picker actually used in the real world. Accessible date pickers can be created and should be created. I would say if you don't want to make the date picker accessible then don't use the date picker at all :)

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
www.deque.com

> On May 19, 2016, at 12:08 PM, Meacham, Steve - FSA, Kansas City, MO < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> In my organization, I consider date pickers to be a "progressive enhancement" and don't even assess them for accessibility, so long as the user has the option to use them or ignore them and still specify a date.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
> Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:15 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessible Datepicker & NVDA Support
>
>> (Not sure why they exist). Just type MM/DD/YYY in the label.
>
> Date pickers are sometimes necessary because they can indicate dates that are unavailable/available/holiday and they provide additional information in tabular form such as the week a date falls on or for example whether a date is the first, two, third, etc. Thursday in the month.
>
> Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Avila
> Chief Accessibility Officer
> SSB BART Group
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> 703.637.8957 (Office)
> Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs
> Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:11 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessible Datepicker & NVDA Support
>
> Hello,
> NVDA users would be crazy if they used a date picker! (Not sure why they exist). Just type MM/DD/YYY in the label. But that date picker is fine on my end (although I would never use it because I have to go through every day in every year!) Thanks,
>
>
> Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>;
>
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Nisar A < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>> Hello experts,
>>
>> I built up a datepicker using bits and pieces from other datepickers.
>> Is there a way I can verify if that datepicker is compliant with
>> USDOT-508 / meets the WCAG 2.1.1 guidelines?
>>
>> Here is the working example for reference:
>> https://jsfiddle.net/j49gz3g3/4/
>>
>> Some people in the testing team say that it is not compliant since
>> NVDA screen reader reads out the date along with the column/row
>> number. They claim it should read only the date and not extra information.
>>
>> Is that true?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nisar
>> >> >> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >>
> > > >
>
>
>
> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.
> > > >