WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Use of hyperlinks instead of buttons

for

Date: Jun 28, 2016 10:53PM

Is it wrapped in a div by itself? That may be a reason to argue that it's a button and requires a role. (I'm looking you and your submit "button" SurveyGizmo...) You could prove that it doesn't work when you attempt to get keyboard focus on it. (works fine on mobile)

If it's just a link, a CSS file is most likely matching the image to the link, making it look like a button. Arguments will flare as you will be able to get keyboard focus and it's labeled with alt tags. (The developers will ask: Should social media be buttons too?)

Another consideration is that JAWS treats buttons and links differently. As a button, users can press B to get directly to them. As links you can bring up a links list, and press P until you hear print. Or just perform a JAWS find for "Print". All ways are accessible, although some ways may take a few additional button presses.

Just wait until we have to make web VR accessible: https://aframe.io/

Best,

Joshua Hori

Accessible Technology Analyst

Student Disability Center

54 Cowell Building

Davis, CA 95616

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > on behalf of Jonathan Avila < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:25:03 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Use of hyperlinks instead of buttons

> In the site, they have used hyperlinks were it should have been buttons. For example, there is a print link that lauches the browser's print functionality. Under which criteria does it fail WCAG?

Many people would say that it does not fail WCAG -- some say it does. I suppose if it looks like a button you have a case to argue for SC 1.3.1 Information and Relationships -- but arguably this issue is problematic for all users as you really don't know what's going to happen when you click a visual link or button as some designs use them interchangeably.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Bruno Girard
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:28 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Use of hyperlinks instead of buttons

Hello group,

I am auditing a site right now. I've been looking throught WCAG criterias, techniques and failure but I haven't found the answer to my question yet.

In the site, they have used hyperlinks were it should have been buttons.
For example, there is a print link that lauches the browser's print functionality.

Under which criteria does it fail WCAG?

Thanks
Bruno