WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: YouTube Live accessibility?

for

Date: Jul 14, 2016 9:18AM

Thanks for the advice and good question! I would think most people would not wish to indicate they require an adjustment (that's what our HR department has told me in the past, at least), but I would also be interested in hearing people's opinions on this.

I'm in discussions with the country/business right now because they don't wish to archive the events either. They are hoping to just have it as a once-off and are pushing that live captioning isn't a viable option (cost-wise). I like your example of getting someone's name wrong, though! That should be a sensitive point and a perspective I will definitely try.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Preast, Vanessa
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:41 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] YouTube Live accessibility?

Does this also apply to live distance instruction, such as using Adobe Connect or webinars?

If so, is it acceptable to provide the live captioning only on the occasions when a participant registering for the event indicates the need for live captions? Otherwise the captions would be added to the recording later?

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Chaals McCathie Nevile
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:59 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] YouTube Live accessibility?

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 08:53:41 +0200, < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I just joined, so this is my first post to the forum. :)
>
> I've recently been asked at work how accessible YouTube live is. Since
> it's a live feed I suggested that a live transcript/captioning would
> be appropriate which they weren't thrilled to hear.

They may not be thrilled, but accessibility of video means captions, and for live video that means live captions.

> But I'm still trying to look into the service to see if Google might
> be doing anything about it (I don't know if Google's auto-captioning
> works?) or to see what, if any, alternatives there might be.
>
> Appreciate any thoughts/advice!

Auto-captioning is generally very useful - the error rate is low enough that overall it is a win. But for a corporate client I would VERY STRONGLY advise them to put manual verification into the procedure. When a senior consultant's title, or an important person's name, is mis-captioned as a few four-letter words, it should make the argument clear.

Unfortunately the real-world examples I know of have all been carefully buried by the organisations on whose faces the egg landed, so I cannot demonstrate live what I mean. But trust me, audiences rarely forget the organisation's name years after they watch the clip, even if they forget all the details.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathie Nevile - web standards - CTO Office, Yandex
<EMAIL REMOVED> - - - Find more at http://yandex.com