WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Opacity Zero and Screen Readers

for

Date: Jul 19, 2016 9:12AM

So the answer is "yes"? During a previous assessment, I had an element that the developer had really, really tried to hide. It was set to visibility:hidden, opacity:0, and was positioned offscreen. I set visibility to visible in order to see what the screen reader would announce when it was able to detect the element. I didn't hear anything, but then set the opacity to 1 and was then able to hear the element announced. As this was not a very exhaustive test, I wasn't sure if this was just a fluke situation or not.

When I asked the question of the group, I was trying to test a carousel that very zealous developers had set all kinds of aria roles and properties on. The carousel ran automatically, and it was very difficult to try setting and/or resetting various properties, so I reached out for that particular answer.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:47 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Opacity Zero and Screen Readers

Screen readers are equal opportunity announcers when it comes to opacity.
If you need to hide the opacity 0 content from screen readers you need to use aria-hidden="true" on the container element.

display: none/visibility hidden will hide your content from screen readers.

On 7/18/16, Lovely, Brian (CONT) < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> If an element containing text has its opacity CSS property set to "0",
> will it's text be read out by a screen reader? Not sure if it matters,
> but the element with the opacity set is a div, and the text is
> contained in a heading element that is a child of that div.
>
>
>
> Brian Lovely
> Digital Accessibility Team
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
>
>
> >
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or
> proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used
> solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The
> information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the
> individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this
> message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or
> other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this
> information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >

--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.