WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Web application testing

for

Date: Aug 7, 2016 9:30AM

Hello,

You should try as many combinations as you can afford to try, including JAWS 12 Windows XP and IE6. But of course, you probably don't want to do that.

Use JAWS with IE and/or Firefox because JAWS does not work great with Chrome and JAWS is the most popular screen reader.

Use NVDA with FireFox if you have more modern web development because this is generally believed to have the best support for ARIA and HTML 5 accessibility without trying to guess as much what the web developer was trying to do. ,

I believe however, that especially as a sighted tester, you will get more information about issues that are non-automated testing by working with a ZoomText or Magic. Also, please make sure your alt-attributes are spelled correctly.

Since VoiceOver is the only scrrenn reader on the Macintosh, it makes sense to test with that. Also, Voiceover on the Macintosh in "group" mode has a tendency to read "Title" attributes for div tags instead of the content of the div tag. So, this might be a place specifically to test with VoiceOver.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

> On Aug 7, 2016, at 4:34 AM, sucharu < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi ,
> I am still looking for the answer to my question "which browser screen reader combination after initial testing with automated tools". And more important why.
>