WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: JAWS, NVDA, and Captivate

for

Date: Aug 11, 2016 11:09AM

> We are required to deliver a project to a Federal agency in Captivate. We have it working in NVDA, but not in JAWS (v16).

I suspect that the issue is not JAWS's fault but in how the content is technically rendered . That is-- the code is likely not technically compliant of if it is not implemented in a robust way. Captivate can render Flash and HTML content. Both have challenges although there are things you can do to improve accessibility there are some limitations.

Let's examine one possible situation. In HTML when you navigate with the virtual cursor using the arrows with NVDA focus is set on the link. Pressing enter on the link sends a mouse down, mouse up, and click. With JAWS arrowing to the link -- the link is not focused. When the user presses enter the link is focused and then a click event is sent -- no mouse up or down are sent. Ideally the links would work with the click event and with the enter key being pressed on the link -- but the links should not require mouse events being sent. But I've seen cases where the links work on enter and on mouse down but NOT click -- and this is what trips JAWS up. I don't feel this is the JAWS issue though as click should be supported as universal programmatic way to activate a link.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!