WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: In-page links and programmatic focus

for

Date: Sep 12, 2016 2:07PM

What if the targeted element is not a focusable element, but a text node, like a footnote. Shouldn't you expect the footnote to be the next element to be read out? ...as opposed to before the in page link was activated, in which case the target of the in page link would not be the next element read out. Can focus be in one place and the virtual cursor in another?

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Paul Adam
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2016 3:58 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] In-page links and programmatic focus

If the in page link goes to a focusable element like with tabindex=-1 then keyboard focus will shift to that element properly. .focus() should only be needed with JavaScript button type events like opening a modal dialog.

http://pauljadam.com/demos/inpagelinks.html

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 12, 2016, at 1:35 PM, Beranek, Nicholas < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> My team and I are having a discussion about in-page links. We are trying to determine if it's necessary to programmatically shift focus to the target element once an in-page link is activated.
>
> What behavior do you expect? If I have an anchor that targets an ID on the page, do I also need to add an element.focus() handler (with subsequent tabindex=-1 if necessary)?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Beranek
> Capital One
> >
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.