WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Keyboard trap for non-modal dialogs and popups:

for

Date: Sep 22, 2016 7:02AM

Ah, my response was to JPs message where he specifically said "modal". I completely spaced the subject line which says "non-modal". Yeah, I agree with Jonathan. I'd have to know more about the specific non-modal at hand before I could say whether or not I support trapping focus. There are a lot of expandables, alerts, tooltips, and whatnot that qualify as non-modals.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:58 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Keyboard trap for non-modal dialogs and popups:

> Is it a good practice to trap the keyboard focus inside the popup or a non-modal dialog?

For modals, you would want to trap the focus. For non-modals in my opinion it depends on whether the non-modal overlaps the other page content. If the non-modal slides into place or doesn't significantly cover other content then in my opinion it should not trap focus. The non-modal's boundaries should be communicated via the role dialog with the new aria-modal attribute or through another mechanism such as a region where a name can be assigned and the boundary of the popup will then be exposed to users of assistive technology. If the non-modal covers most of the page but allows the user to click out then we'd really need to examine why this is. For example, is the user expected to review information between the non-modal and the main page content, etc. In some cases a non-modal may really be a sidebar such as a chat window and keeping the focus order in the chat window is actually helpful to the user. But the user would need a way to move focus between the different panes much like the user would do on the Windows desktop with F6. So it depends on how the content is presented and how the user is expected to interact with the non-modal and page content.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Ramakrishnan Subramanian
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:30 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Keyboard trap for non-modal dialogs and popups:

Dear members
I request for your inputs on the following thing.

Is it a good practice to trap the keyboard focus inside the popup or a non-modal dialog?
I mean, while using arrow keys and tab/shift tab keys, trapping the focus inside the popup.
Generally the mouse user is able to access the parent page and also the popup simultaneously.
Should this be the case for the keyboard only users and screen reader users?
Which approach would be recommendable here?
What are the pros and cons for both the approaches?

Thanks for your inputs
Ramakrishnan
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.