WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: accessible word-wrap in word?

for

Date: Sep 23, 2016 11:52AM

You are correct AFAIK
I've never understood why....as long as the image is inserted into the text at an appropriate or logical place.
I assume it has something to do with Word internal structure. 
But when wrapped text would be more usable for many it forces us into bad workarounds to make the document communicate both structurally and visually . 
Sad. Should be easier.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Preast, Vanessa" < <EMAIL REMOVED> > Date: 9/19/16 2:56 PM (GMT-05:00) To: <EMAIL REMOVED> , WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> > Subject: Re: [WebAIM] accessible word-wrap in word?
I now have office 2016 for windows, and I had Office 2013 a few weeks ago. Both act similarly from what I've seen.

I add an image. I must place the image "In Line with Text" (Alt + JP + TW + I)  in order for the accessibility checker to be OK. If I use the other options that allow text wrapping, the accessibility checker does not like it and I can't hear my image alt text with the screen reader. Granted, I have not checked every one of the text wrapping options, but a quick test of a couple yielded similar results.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 1:19 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] accessible word-wrap in word?

I think we need some clarity and details about this issue.

1. And inline graphic appears in the sentence or paragraph just like a text character does. It follows in-line with the other content. Often this is called an in-line anchored graphic.

2. A floating graphic is anchored too, but the graphic might have the text wrapping around it and the graphic can appear somewhere else on the page. In later versions of Word, you can see the graphic's blue anchor icon in the margin.

3. See https://blogs.office.com/2012/09/19/working-with-images-gets-simpler-in-the-new-word/ for specifics from Microsoft.

Question to the list:

Do even the latest versions of Word still have this problem? That's Word 2016 and Word 360.

(And it's 2016...can't believe we still have this problem!)

--Bevi Chagnon

- - -
Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com
Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers for publishing & communication
| Acrobat PDF | Print | EPUBS | Sec. 508 Accessibility |
- - -