WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Numbered Lists with Screenshots

for

Date: Oct 14, 2016 7:32AM

Are the images inside of list items? If not, that might confuse AT as to just how many lists/list items there are. Ideally, I would think that the XYZ screenshot would be in list item 3, and the 123 screenshot would be in list item 5. This is based on my assumption that you wouldn't want a screenshot to be a numbered list item by itself, since it seems like you are using the numbers of the ordered list as procedural steps.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Spealman, Jill
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:55 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Numbered Lists with Screenshots

Hello,
I am a newbie! Our department writes procedural documents for software in Word converted to PDF and we often include screenshots.
For example, a procedure might look something like this:

1. Double-click the recording file.

2. Click the pause button.

3. Click OK. The XYZ screen opens.

[XYZ screenshot here]

4. Check the video box.

5. Click OK. The 123 screen opens.

[123 screenshot here]

6. Type your info and click Submit.

I am using the NVDA screen reader. My problem is that when the PDF is read the voice says:
"List with three items." Then reads the first three items as shown above.
Then it reads the alt text on the screenshot.
Then it says "List with two items...4. Check the video box. 5. Click OK..."

Is there any way to make it say "List with 6 items" and just read the alt text where it screenshots are?
I am using numbered lists in Word properly...no manual numbering going on.

Thanks for your assistance,

Jill

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in the future then please respond to the sender to this effect.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.