WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: predictive searching on a web page and mouse hovers

for

Date: Oct 14, 2016 11:17AM

> 2. Mouse hovers when a user places a mouse pointer on top of an graphic, link, paragraph, etc. How can a screen reader or keyboard user interact with this? Does a on keyboard event have to be present? Some posts I have seen state the use of a mouse hover as I described should not be present. I am not sure the best practise here.

You can use aria-describedby to associate the tooltip text with the triggering item -- you will want the item to be focusable for keyboard only users as well and can use onfocus to trigger the popup.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Sean Murphy
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:26 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] predictive searching on a web page and mouse hovers

All,

From my searching, I haven't been successful in finding a answer to my questions.

1. Google uses and so do some other pages a predictive search functionality. As the person types in the information, the search results gets automatically updated. Screen reader's on www.google.com <http://www.google.com/>; do not handle this. Any one got example code or tips to make this style of interactive searching work with screen readers?

2. Mouse hovers when a user places a mouse pointer on top of an graphic, link, paragraph, etc. How can a screen reader or keyboard user interact with this? Does a on keyboard event have to be present? Some posts I have seen state the use of a mouse hover as I described should not be present. I am not sure the best practise here.

Sean