WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Masking H1

for

Date: Nov 17, 2016 11:13AM

#2 seems much more maintainable and less hacky to me, assuming it works with VO.

Aaron

--
This message was sent from a mobile device

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 11:59, Beranek, Nicholas < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hey JP,
>
> You have a few options:
>
> 1) Decrease the width of the container to force each word on a new line;
> 2) Or instead of using a <br />, wrap each word in a <span> and use display: block to ensure each word has its own line
>
> Does that make sense? Tested with NVDA and Firefox and having each word wrapped in a <span> still reads out the string in its entirety versus "heading level 1 Good", "heading level 1 Morning", etc.
>
> Nick Beranek
> Capital One
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 12:53 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: [WebAIM] Masking H1
>
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I have a H1 that is causing excessive readability with screen readers. Here is the mark up.
>
>
>
> <h1>
>
> Good
>
> <br />
>
> Morning
>
> <br />
>
> JP
>
> </h1
>
>
>
> If the user reads this while down-arrowing or swiping on an iPhone, each word is read separately followed or proceeded by Heading level 1.
>
>
>
> I would like to be able to mask this. What would be the best approach?
>
> > > > >
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
> > > >