WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Using labels or table headers on nested editable elements inside data cells?

for

Date: Jan 10, 2017 11:30AM

Yes, the role of presentation is used to strip an element of its semantic meaning. In the case of a table, the semantic meaning is that it contains tabular data. Since the table is to be used for layout purposes only, we strip out the tabular semantics of the element with role="presentation".

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Lucy Greco
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:18 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Using labels or table headers on nested editable elements inside data cells?

this has been coming up a lot lately here. in this example the table is actualy data. but it it is reely just a lay out table should the role of presentation be used on the table so the table verbosaty is not ther as well

Lucia Greco
Web Accessibility Evangelist
IST - Architecture, Platforms, and Integration University of California, Berkeley
(510) 289-6008 skype: lucia1-greco
http://webaccess.berkeley.edu
Follow me on twitter @accessaces

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 7:15 AM, Graham Armfield < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> I know the code provided was just an example, but what is it that
> differentiates the various rows of inputs in this table setup? Surely
> you'd also need some way of tying the age/number field with the name
> field otherwise the prompt is ambiguous.
>
> In the corresponding form not laid out in a table I'd be using
> fieldset and legend to link the inputs. But here, could you also have
> the id of the name field included in the aria-labelledby? Has anyone tried doing that.
>
> I'd want to test this in mobile situations with Voiceover and Talkback too.
>
> Regards
> Graham Armfield
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.