WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Navigating Microsoft Outlook with Assistive Technology

for

Date: Jan 13, 2017 12:47PM

The shortcuts you were provided with are a good start. Ensure they apply to 2016. Keep in mind that JAWS 18, with its latest update, still has issues reading folder Views. Let's presume that the user want to establish his or her custom views. JAWS is still not reporting the items in the list views and combo boxes.

They have made some enhancements to the calendar, but I dislike the way it moves between appointments. A user could be looking at appointments for Friday the 13 and all the sudden end up in Monday, Jan 16. That's because JAWS continues to look for appointments in the calendar grid as the user is tabbing and shift tabbing. Where in the past, it would stop on Friday the 13th.

Also, there is a lot of verbose output by JAWS in the calendar. It took me a while to get used to it and for a beginner it can be frustrating. Just keep those in mind.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of England, Kristina
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:35 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED> ; <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Navigating Microsoft Outlook with Assistive Technology

Thanks, Poornima! Those shortcuts will be helpful.

And sorry, JP, for not including the version of Outlook on the original email - we are on Outlook 2016.

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 2:31 PM
To: England, Kristina < <EMAIL REMOVED> >; <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: RE: [WebAIM] Navigating Microsoft Outlook with Assistive Technology

You could please find the Keyboard Shortcuts for Outlook in the below link,

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Keyboard-shortcuts-for-Outlook-3cdeb221-7ae5-4c1d-8c1d-9e63216c1efd#bkmk_basicnav&ID0EAABAAA 16,_2013

The keyboard shortcuts listed in this link works well with both screen reader ON or OFF.

For sighted keyboard users, the basic navigation for "switching between the views like mail view, calendar view, tasks view, contacts, etc." are the easy references. Once the user lands in any view, the standards keys (Tab, Arrow) works to get through related menus and sub-menus. There is an important key ALT+H that shows all the shortcuts for each of the options in the entire menu bar.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Poornima.

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:48 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Navigating Microsoft Outlook with Assistive Technology

Hi everyone,

I know this one isn't web related, but I was wondering if anyone has documented steps on navigating Microsoft Outlook with a screen reader? We are building Microsoft Outlook training on organizing mailboxes and wanted to provide keyboarding steps.

Thanks!

Kristina