WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Alt text in Word 2016: Indicate null image & which box to type in

for

Date: Jan 17, 2017 7:29AM

Is there a way to let Microsoft know that their instructional video may not be 100% accurate and ask them to fix the video? I'd really like to be able to direct people to their video when training our staff, because it seems most logical to me that the software manufacturer would be the expert on the most accessible way to use their own software.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:43 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Alt text in Word 2016: Indicate null image & which box to type in

> I just saw an instructional video from Microsoft that indicates to type "" within the description box for the alt text will tell the assistive technology to skip that image. Is this accurate?

I have never known that to be accurate in Word documents.

> Also, at 45 seconds into this video, it indicates that we should write
> a title in the title and description in the description. But, this is
> different than the instructions on the NCDAE website

The description field is the one that is announced by screen readers.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog See you at CSUN in March!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Preast, Vanessa
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 5:43 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Alt text in Word 2016: Indicate null image & which box to type in

Hello,

I just saw an instructional video from Microsoft that indicates to type "" within the description box for the alt text will tell the assistive technology to skip that image. Is this accurate? The following video states this information at 1:34 minutes: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-alternative-text-for-images-and-objects-9c57ee44-bb48-40e3-aad4-7647fc1dba51

Also, at 45 seconds into this video, it indicates that we should write a title in the title and description in the description. But, this is different than the instructions on the NCDAE website (http://ncdae.org/resources/cheatsheets/word2013.php) which indicates that the alt text should go into the description box, not the title. What is considered best practice with entering alt text into Word 2016?

Thanks,
Vanessa