WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Aria and inline character password validation

for

Date: Jan 19, 2017 8:20AM

Clearly, such dynamic feedback already requires JavaScript. I also think you're going the right direction by using aria-live.

There is a WAI tutorial on exactly what you're trying to do that does just that: https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/forms/examples/password/.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Pierre Hachey
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:15 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Aria and inline character password validation

Hi WebAIM list,

What are your thoughts?

Context:
The input field for password has a real time character validation that shows the users via a dynamic tooltip, the strength of the password due to using symbols, lower and upper characters.

Question:
As the user types a line on tooltip vertically increases to show strength of password (percentage change -week to strong), since this line keeps changing as the user types, what kind of "aria" should I add?

Would it be aria-live? Do I need javascript?

Thanks
Pete

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.