WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: wcag 2.4.5 multiple ways

for

Date: Feb 13, 2017 7:44AM

Detlev wrote:
"* G85 requires that all pages are linked directly from the home page and that each page has a link back to the home page. So G185 does not require each page to have links to all other pages, just a link to the home page. Interestingly there is no upper limit given for what counts as small site."

How could this be possible with a government website that contains millions of pages? That interpretation would create millions of links on just the homepage itself.

Question: How do government web master handle this?

--Bevi Chagnon

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Detlev Fischer
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2017 4:47 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] wcag 2.4.5 multiple ways

Hi Lisa,
Admittedly, the difference is slight.
* G126 requires that each page has links to all other pages of a small site.
* G85 requires that all pages are linked directly from the home page and that each page has a link back to the home page. So G185 does not require each page to have links to all other pages, just a link to the home page. Interestingly there is no upper limit given for what counts as small site.
* G125 seems fairly general and just checks that links to other pages work without saying anything about the hierarchy or requiring a comprehensive listing. So this technique would presumably work in tandem with another technique such as search. if you had a sub page linking back to the section page above (but not to the home page) AND a second option, say, a general search function, SC 2.4.5 would be met.

I admit there is overlap between G126 and G185 but as techniques are informative only anyway and the small-site techniques are rarely used on the kind of sites that are audited for WCAG compliance (at least in my experience), there is probably little harm in not touching these techniques and focusing on the workload related to WCAG 2.1.

Detlev
--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese
Thedestr. 2, 22767 Hamburg

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites

L Snider schrieb am 12.02.2017 05:35:

> Hi All,
>
> This has bugged me for a while. Under the techniques for wcag 2.4.5,
> they note G125, G126 and G185. When I look at all of them, they all
> seem to be saying the same thing.
>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/navigation-mechanisms-mult-
> loc.html
>
> The only slight difference I can see is that G185 seems to be saying
> that you need to have links on the home page, G126 sounds like it is
> for small sites and G125 just talks about links going to where they say.
>
> I have searched everywhere and can't find rationale for these three,
> can anyone fill me in?
>
> Cheers
>
> Lisa
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >