WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Radio buttons using input tag, or aria radiogroup role?

for

Date: Apr 26, 2017 12:54PM

I'd love an answer to this question in a more general sense. It's my understanding that the browser tells the AT what to do, so Jaws wouldn't have to know about a specific ARIA attribute; rather, the browser would have to know how to tell Jaws about the element in terms Jaws can understand. For elements like radios that pre-date the web, Jaws would already know very well how to handle them, so even an ancient version of Jaws would work.

But I'm not certain about this. Is it true that Jaws itself does not need to know about specific HTML ARIA attributes?

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Guy Hickling
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:26 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio buttons using input tag, or aria radiogroup role?

Is there another major advantage of using the straight HTML5 approach, in that older browser and/or assistive technology versions are more likely to be fully up to date with HTML5 than with the ARIA needed? Particularly since the official release of ARIA 1.1 is so recent.

JAWS, for instance, charges large amounts for upgrades, $400/£300 to upgrade 3 or more versions at a time, so I imagine a lot of users (since many screen reader users are likely on lower incomes than average) must be several versions behind the current version 18.

Regards,
Guy Hickling