WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Web development; How to identify if a screen reader is in use

for

Date: May 11, 2017 1:26PM

I've always wondered, why do people try to make life harder rather than easier?

As a site is evaluated against WCAG guidelines, suggest as many fixes as possible to try to achieve an inclusive design. The closer you shift the slider towards an inclusive design, the more people you'd be able to accommodate.

Once you achieve that level, there is no need to try to gather any analytical information about users. The site would become robust and your customers would appreciate the convenience you provide them. If the customer is happy, the customer will continue to return. Of course, that's from a marking prospective.

If you have a dev team that you are battling with on daily bases, then welcome to the A11Y field. We all deal with it whether we work with UX design, devs or QA. The reason being is because of lack of awareness and not wanting to go back and redo the work.

As I always state from my development days, the easier you make it to customers the harder you make on developers. That is why the design should be simple straight to the point. People want to find their information, finalize their transactions and carry on with their work. Unless they are young kids with lots of time on their hands. Then they want something "Cooool", which meanings a pain in the neck for adults with busy lives.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Thomas Lee McKeithan II
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:35 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Web development; How to identify if a screen reader is in use

I agree!

Respectfully,
Thomas Lee McKeithan II | Optum Technology Solutions Electronic Accessibility Engineer, UX Design Studio (UXDS) MD018, 6220 Old Dobbin Lane, Columbia, MD, 21045, USA

T +1 443-896-0432
M +1 202-276-6437
<EMAIL REMOVED>
www.optum.com

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Andrews, David B (DEED)
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:23 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Web development; How to identify if a screen reader is in use

Another concern is "numbers." If you take any given segment of the disabled population, blind people, deaf people, low vision persons, screen reader users, etc., its numbers are going to be relatively low compared to the whole. So, I think people are afraid that if sites have specific numbers, "I only had five screen reader users last month," for example, it will work against us, and not for us in the long run.

Dave

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:15 AM

> Even if it comes from good intentions, I am loathe to support an idea that results in a "separate, but equal" experience.

Any technology has the capacity to be mis-used -- telephones are mis-used everyday to spam or harass callers. However, overlooking the benefits of a potential technology must be considered. Any intention to identify user behaviors has benefits. For example, scripts already exist to identify high contrast users in order to provide them with equivalent information when background images are turned off. Responsive websites are used every day and adjust to the users viewport width which is based on factors including low vision users using the zoom feature in your browsers. So I would urge people to consider this not as a means to track people with disabilities to better understand how users are interacting with your website and provide adaptability and flexibility to those users.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog Download our CSUN Presentations Here!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Thompson, Rachel
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:09 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List

Hi, all.

Automatic detection of assistive technology presents problems in my world. We cannot legally "out" someone with a disability and this approach has the potential to do that. This would certainly be an issue for our lawyers if it existed on any sort of application materials for attending or working at our institution.

Even if it comes from good intentions, I am loathe to support an idea that results in a "separate, but equal" experience.

Hope you have a good day,
Rachel

Dr. Rachel S. Thompson
Director, Emerging Technology and Accessibility The Center for Instructional Technology The University of Alabama
110 Russell Hall
Box 870248
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
Phone 205-348-0216
<EMAIL REMOVED> | http://cit.ua.edu | http://accessibility.ua.edu

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Beranek, Nicholas
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:58 AM

Hi John,

Not for Web Accessibility. On iOS, we have the ability to detect whether or not assistive technologies like VoiceOver are running, but this is only through native applications. I remember discussions about how people would feel if developers could detect whether or not they're using a screen reader, magnifier, or other AT. I don't recall what came out of those discussions.

I gave a talk about data and accessibility and how we're unable to get numbers related to screen reader usage. If we could, would we use it to "water down" the experience? We are firm believers at Capital One in providing an inclusive and enriching experience regardless of disability.

I think it's time to discuss this very topic again. Thanks for bringing it up.

Nick Beranek
Capital One

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of John Contarino x245
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:48 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Web development; How to identify if a screen reader is in use

Hi,
Is it possible in web site development to identify if a screen reader is in use by the end user?
Similar to how different browsers are identified and can be interpreted in code based on browser.
Thanks.

John Contarino
Programmer Analyst

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.