WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: symptom table

for

Date: Jun 27, 2017 2:27PM

Thank for your input folks.

Joshua, this was my thinking too, which is why I asked. While the X might be a recognizable convention, would it be more helpful to add something like what you mentioned.

>Wouldn't this be considered an abbreviation?
https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/meaning-located.html

>If using a magnifier, it may be easier to hear 'No blurred vision during heat exhaustion- and 'Possible blurred vision during heat stroke- than moving the screen up and down to see column headers. The responsive design reflowed the document width to always fit my screen, so column headers weren't a problem.

As for your other observation:
>The 'Back to Top- button that appears on the page is intrusive to users with magnifying software and covers a good portion of the right hand side of the screen once I've enlarged it to 200%. The top menu also takes up a large portion of the page once enlarged.

I appreciate the feedback. We are actively working on accessibility improvements so it's good to have that input. Not sure I'll get them away from that 'back to top' button, or the space-heavy navigation area, but I can make the issue known.

Diane R Tomlins
HCA IT&S | Digital Media
Accessibility SME

>Wouldn't this be considered an abbreviation?
https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/meaning-located.html

>If using a magnifier, it may be easier to hear 'No blurred vision during heat exhaustion- and 'Possible blurred vision during heat stroke- than moving the screen up and down to see column headers. The responsive design reflowed the document width to always fit my screen, so column headers weren't a problem.

>It would remove confusion for those who may not be familiar with what you are attempting to relay, or if they hold their mouse over the image the alt text should popup and inform the user. There's great image checkmarks and X's available online for beautifying that table.

>The 'Back to Top- button that appears on the page is intrusive to users with magnifying software and covers a good portion of the right hand side of the screen once I've enlarged it to 200%. The top menu also takes up a large portion of the page once enlarged.

Best,
Joshua