WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Low Vision IOS and Android Testing Instructions Wanted

for

Date: Jul 14, 2017 7:56AM

Hi Jim,
Here are some pointers.

* Contrast: Take screenshots, send to Desktop, test with Color Contrast Analyzer

* Text resize: set system font site to largest in the OS > accessibility stettings and see whether that has an effect on fonts in the app you are testing (often no effect, somtimes large text content, say, text content in mail apps)

* Zoom resize: In terms of meeting WCAG success criteria 1.4.4, this is arguably met by OS-level zoom magnification - so there is not much to test here in itself but a chosen zoom level can then be used as a setting for tests below.

The next few things are important, put not part of WCAG (but some, like graphics contrast, possibly in WCAG 2.1):

* Default text size: I know this is not a WCAG criterion but of course tiny fonts are harder to use / need more magnification than larger default fonts, so you may measure and compare default sizes (we have used a transparent typometer for that - it is coarse and of course different user agents have different absolute display sizes, but comparing, say, 5 different apps on the same device gives you a relative measure that seems meaningful to me.

* In zoomed-in state: Distance between labels and labeled controls. If you use an app in zoomed-in state (200%, or more if you wan to see how stronger zoom affects use)
- check if labels and controls can be seen in same magnified view
- If labels and controls are not in the same view and you need to pan, are there lines or stripes helping to make the connection?
- Check if the app rotates by 90 degrees when turning display to landscape

* In zoomed-in state: Dynamic content.
- If there are dynamic popups, do they open outside the visible area (and are therefore not nioticed)?
- If parts of dynamic content are not within the magnified view, is there as a way of panning to hidden or half hidden content?
- Can elements be brought into view and activated?

* Graphics contrast: Are there important elements of the design (like icons and grid lines) that have low contrast?
(you find an example here: http://www.incobs.de/tests-english/items/tablet-tests-with-low-vision-users-usability.html )

* 'Screen reader on' and magnification: This is a special case that used to be supported much better by iOS than Android but I think Android has caught up. Odd focus order / strange jumps of magnified view might be things to look out for here.

Hope this helps..
Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese
Thedestr. 2, 22767 Hamburg

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites

Jim Homme schrieb am 12.07.2017 21:47:

> Hi,
> I see a lot of content about how to test with VoiceOver, but for whatever
> reason, I have not yet run across a procedure for low vision testing on either
> IOS or Android. Is anyone willing to share such a resource?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
>
> =========> Jim Homme,
> Team Lead and Accessibility Consultant,
> Bender HighTest Accessibility Team
> Bender Consulting Services, Inc.,
> 412-787-8567,
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
> E+R=O
>
> > > > >