WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: form validation and error handling. (tech gurus)

for

Date: Sep 14, 2017 9:14AM

I've found that the most robust validation practice is to validate in the browser (HTML5 and/or JavaScript) and then server-side (because the browser can't be trusted). The first provides the most usability, and the later the most security. If one and only one were an option, chose the server-side and do what it takes to keep it usable enough.

To do this, the server-side validation would need to re-present the page that contained validation error, but incorporate additional human-friendly cues such as error messages, instructions, and possibly even scrolling the page and setting the focus automatically.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Nancy Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 3:32 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] form validation and error handling. (tech gurus)

I am working for a company that has always used server side validation asp.net4 This is not screen reader friendly, not does it move the focus to the first invalid form field.
1. is there a way to make server side validation accessible to screen readers?

2. Simple email-a-friend form. 3 required fields. 2 email fields 1
name field
Using HTML5 required and proper input types.

Are there samples or tutorials out there for the JS side? I'm
struggling with that and its so simple.

I am familiar with jquery UI Validate and know it has some problems with accessiblity including using label as error.

Thanks

Nancy Johnson
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.