WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: hardware keybaord accessibility on IPAD and IPAD mini issue

for

Date: Jan 5, 2018 4:59PM

> Tried ALT+TAB/ALT+SHIFT+TAB) - no go. Even tabbing to google search result links is not possible.

I have a Anker Bluetooth keyboard and I was able to get the keys to work with and without VoiceOver. There are limitations. For example, several times the keys would not work and I had to switch apps/tabs in Safari on iOS and then was able to get them to work. There is no additional visual focus without VoiceOver. With VoiceOver dvis with tabindex=0 on them were included but nothing was announced when navigating with these keys. I was using iOS 11.2.x So if things aren't working make sure you have a recent iOS version and try switching tabs (control+tab) and tapping (if you can) in order to wake up the functionality.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
(703) 637-8957
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Pete Hachey
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 12:51 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] hardware keybaord accessibility on IPAD and IPAD mini issue

Thanks Patrick,

I tried those keys but still does not work.

I have a K480 Bluetooth keyboard and an recent ipad pro and keyboard accessibility is really not good for navigating any web page. Works fine if I just want to navigate the IPAD internal apps - but not web pages.

Tried ALT+TAB/ALT+SHIFT+TAB) - no go. Even tabbing to google search result links is not possible.

ENTER/SPACE does work.

Looks like it's an apple thing
P

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Patrick H. Lauke
Sent: January-04-18 5:16 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] hardware keybaord accessibility on IPAD and IPAD mini issue

On 04/01/2018 20:20, Pete Hachey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anybody came across this issue?
>
> Hardware keyboard navigation (using tab key) do not work on IPAD or IPAD mini using Safari or Chrome browser.
>
> I am a web developer, working on web app and I ensured javascript events with event.which= and 32 for enter and space bar and also used tabindex="0" for div buttons. Etc.
>
> The web app tab navigation works perfect using hardware keyboard on Windows system using Chrome, Firefox and IE browsers and Samsung phones S5 and S8.
>
> Unlike the desktop macOS there is no settings i can find to make IPAD or IPAD mini work with well hardware keyboard.
>
> Cannot tab to:
>
> Form fields and links. Able to type into form fields with hardware keyboard.

By default, on iOS, hardware keyboards don't fire any key events / work in Safari (and any other iOS browsers, as they're all based on the same UIWebView/WkWebView component) except in the situations where normally you'd get an on-screen keyboard (i.e. when focus is inside a text input, the browser's address bar, etc).

From memory, though, this HAS changed in recent iOS builds. However, you need to use the alt/option key to move the focus (ALT+TAB/ALT+SHIFT+TAB). ENTER/SPACE should work normally (no extra modifier key).

P
--
Patrick H. Lauke

www.splintered.co.uk | https://github.com/patrickhlauke http://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | http://redux.deviantart.com
twitter: @patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke