WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Link vs Button for "Cancel"

for

Date: Jan 8, 2018 2:30PM

Yes, you will need to add keypress event handlers for Enter key and Space bar to activate the element with role="button". Also, if the element is not natively keyboard-focusable, then you'll need to add tabindex="0".

This does beg the question: Why not just use a <button>? If you decide to go the button route for your "Cancel" action, then I suggest an HTML <button>.

Nick Beranek
Capital One

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Renato Iwashima
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2018 4:11 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Link vs Button for "Cancel"

I thought about adding role="button" since it does visually look like a button, but then someone mentioned to me that a button activates with space bar while a link does not. If I add a role="button", would I have to implement some javascript to handle space bar?

On Jan 8, 2018 12:46 PM, "JP Jamous" < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

In addition, I have found it to be an excellent UX design practice to use role="button" if the link is styled as a button visually. I cannot count the many times I would be interacting with a sighted user and state, "Click on the whatever link." The user would always say, "I don't see a link, rather a button." In some situations, it can be quite confusing.

I know this does not fall under WCAG, but I find it a best user experience for users across the board.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Steve Faulkner
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2018 2:34 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Link vs Button for "Cancel"

>
> The "cancel" takes the user to another page thus behaves like a link.

does it have a href with a URL? if so sounds like a link to me

--

Regards

SteveF
Current Standards Work @W3C
<http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2015/03/current-standards-work-at-w3c/>;

On 8 January 2018 at 20:28, Renato Iwashima < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a form that contains a submit button and a cancel link. The
"cancel"
> takes the user to another page thus behaves like a link.
>
> But because it is a destructive action and is related to the form, I
> wonder if it should actually be a button. If thats the case, does it
> mean I need to implement JS to actually route the user to navigate to
> a
different page?
> Can I just leave it as a link?
>
> Thanks!

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.