WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Local Dev Environment

for

Date: Feb 22, 2018 2:27PM

Jim,

Probably the easiest thing is to use Visual Studio, Visual Studio will set up a localhost web server where you can test things out. Though I have to say I do not find Visual Studio as intuitive as i was hoping.

On the Macintosh side in the Develop menu of Safari there is a item:
Disable Local File Restrictions
So if you enable that then you should be able to run JAVASCRIPT locally. There is also a Server version of MAcOS for about $20 that last I checked includes an easy to start/Stop web server. Though I have to say I have sometimes been able to run JS / HTML / CSS from any given random directory in my home directory by just opening the HTML file and having that file have relative path names.

Best Wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

> On Feb 22, 2018, at 4:12 PM, Jim Homme < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Where would I find instructions for setting up a local web development environment I could use to test various JavaScript or other frameworks for accessibility either on Windows or Mac? Also, does it make sense for me to set up the Linux subsystem in Windows 10 for something llike this, or just what kind of set-up makes the most sense for a screen reader user with either Mac or Windows. Note that I am just now learning basic JavaScript and hope to get deeper into coding for accessibility in about six months.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
> =========> Jim Homme
> Team Lead
> Digital Accessibility Group
> Bender Consulting Services
> 412-787-8567
> https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
>
> > > >