WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Local Dev Environment

for

Date: Feb 22, 2018 2:47PM

Hi Jim,

If you only plan to test JavaScript, HTML and CSS, then you don't need to create a server. JavaScript is executed client-side, so you can just work locally with (dot)html files in your browser.

However, if you need to run server-side code, such as PHP, ASP, Python, then you'll need to stand up an appropriate server on your machine.

When doing PHP development, I've traditionally used MAMP on Mac. There are equivalent products out there for Windows.

In my opinion, setting up a full-on Linux install on a Windows box would be overkill, unless you need full control over the server configuration or want to learn server administration.

Josh Schroder
Web Administrator II
Office of Strategic Communications
Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
(512) 936-8937

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of paramasivam sivayogan via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:38 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Local Dev Environment

Stop

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 21:13, Jim Homme< <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote: Hi,
Where would I find instructions for setting up a local web development environment I could use to test various JavaScript or other frameworks for accessibility either on Windows or Mac? Also, does it make sense for me to set up the Linux subsystem in Windows 10 for something llike this, or just what kind of set-up makes the most sense for a screen reader user with either Mac or Windows. Note that I am just now learning basic JavaScript and hope to get deeper into coding for accessibility in about six months.

Thanks.

Jim

=========Jim Homme
Team Lead
Digital Accessibility Group
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions